Review: Testing Jeffree Star's Favourite US$200 Makeup Primer in SE Asia
On a trip to Phuket recently, I managed to get my hands on the luxury US$200 makeup primer that has beauty gurus everywhere OBSESSED.
Despite its hefty price tag, the Sisley Double Tenseur Instant & Long-Term primer has reached the top shelves of some of the most famous beauty gurus, including Jeffree Star, Tati Westbrook and NikkieTutorials.
When I spotted a Sisley counter in the duty-free arcade at Phuket International Airport, I knew that if I ever wanted to bag skincare products that would normally cost an arm and a leg, the duty-free would probably just cut me back the arm. (Ha!)
Along with the primer, I also bought the Sisley Phyto-Blanc Buff and Wash Facial Gel and the Sisley Supremya Yeux The Supreme Anti-Aging Eye Serum. For my purchase, I received a 1,200 THB discount and a complimentary samples pouch.
I was quite happy with the free gifts and Sisley has been known to be very generous with their samples. It's a decent sized pouch with seven mini-sized samples of some of their best products.
I'm most excited about trying out their Black Rose Cream Mask, Cleansing Milk with White Lily, and most of all the At Night The Supreme Anti-Aging Cream which I've heard amazing things about.
REVIEW: Sisley Double Tenseur Instant & Long-Term Face Primer
For all of the product's information, please go here.
Price I bought it for: 4,930 THB (RM617.07)
- Consistency/texture: Runny liquid
- Colour: Off-white/clear
- Fragrance: None
My Skin Type + climate
- Combination/acne skin which gets oily around the T-zone.
- Large pores around my cheeks, acne scarring on my jawline, textured and uneven skin tone.
- I tested this product in Southeast Asia, where the weather is usually hot and humid.
While I was at the Sisley counter, the sales assistant gave me a folded brochure listing all of Sisley's products.
I was really intrigued when I saw that the primer did not fall into any regular skincare or makeup category, but it was listed under 'Beauty Highlights'. Nowhere on the product or its packaging and on the brochure did it ever say that the product is an actual 'primer'.
So I assumed that the product is a 'base' type of product or a complimentary skincare step that should be used in conjunction with other products.
- For a moisturising primer, this product didn't make me any more oily than I usually get. (I did get oily, but not any more than usual.)
- I used NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint for foundation and the primer held it up pretty nicely.
- Lines and large pores are clearly reduced. I love how it smoothed my texture!
- My foundation looked natural on top.
- My skin looks healthier somehow? In my first check-in, you can see that my skin had that just-back-from-the-beach glow, which I love.
- I still needed to blot my face throughout the day.
Verdict and Observations
After having tried this product a few times now, here are some observations and changes I would suggest for people with similar skin types:
- Try using a more matte foundation to go with the primer. In the video, I used NARS Velvet Matte Skin Tint. It held up nicely but the foundation could easily be moved around if I touched it too much. I do think this is due to a combination of oily skin, the regular moisturiser I applied beforehand, and the general humidity. I have since tried the primer with Estée Lauder Double Wear foundation and it lasted beautifully with only a few blots throughout the day.
- If you have oily skin, skip your regular moisturiser as this product already has moisturising properties. I did this the second time around and my foundation lasted longer and looked less oily than it did in the video review.
If you've tried the Sisley Instant & Long-Term primer in Southeast Asia, let me know how it worked for you too. I'd love to hear thoughts from this region!